Did you know that September is National Fruits and Veggies Month™? And that this is uber important because we are right in the middle of a fruit and vegetable consumption crisis? Sounds major, right? Well it is.
Everyone knows how healthy fruits and veggies are for us. That’s indisputable. But, what we are starting to understand and appreciate is just how good they can make us feel! In fact, there’s a growing body of evidence globally that eating fruits and veggies is predictive of increased happiness, life satisfaction, and well-being. And, the Produce for Better Health Foundation’s (PBH) research indicates that those Americans who eat fruits and veggies most days per week say that they experience physical, emotional, and social benefits now and into the future.
Talk about a simple way to get your happy on! Yet, close to 9 in 10 Americans still do not get enough!
That’s why King Fresh Produce, LLC, has joined with the PBH to celebrate National Fruits & Veggies Month™
Celebrating the importance of produce in our lives is a no-brainer. But, many of us need help actually making it happen. So we’ll throw out some tips and tricks to get you started!
Think of how many times you eat per day. What if you worked fruits and/or veggies in just 1-2 of those times? Note how awesome you feel! And, repeat.
Find what works for you and create your fruits and veggie habits. Everyone is different and what works for you may not work for your parents, best friend, coworker, or neighbor. So, the first step is trial and error to figure out what ways are good for you. Then, keep up the good work!
There’s no right or wrong way to Have A Plant™. Fresh is great, for sure, but, it’s not the only way to score some fruits and veggie credit! Here are some ideas you can try throughout the day:
- Adding dried fruit to oatmeal for breakfast is a great way to add flavor and nutrition, as well as feel full for a while after.
- Throw frozen berries in with your yogurt for a snack.
- Think salads are just all about the veggies? Canned fruit makes for a sweet complement to your favorite greens.
- Need some quick energy? Grab a glass of 100% fruit juice to quench your thirst and hold you over until dinner.
- Throw a handful of frozen veggies into your AM omelet.
- Sun-dried tomatoes add texture and bold flavor to your favorite pasta recipe.
- Using 100% vegetable juice as the liquid in your smoothies add nutrients and save calories.
- Low on time for dinner prep? Throw some canned tomatoes, beans, ground meat, and your go-to spices into a crock pot or Instapot and come home to a house that smells great and dinner that’s ready for the table.
Now one more thing. Take the Have A Plant Pledge to add one more fruit or vegetable to your routine every day this month—and then 1) let us know how you feel and 2) pay it forward by sharing your best produce hacks!